Thursday 23 July 2009

Online Events Calendars

Liverpool Events - August 2009 - What's On

Some of the work I did today.

Collecting events for Liverpool for the Directory of Liverpool blog. It is difficult to know really where to stop. I would really like to use some smart events calendar software like a lot of the websites do but they can be really expensive.

Also whilst I do my research into events it seems that many of the sites are left to be completely automated. You can see where they are only running of a couple of feeds because they have the same kind of events throughout the calendar and no one calendar of events has all the entertainment for the area.

This is why I am resigned to making my slightly less attractive hand-written calendar. I try to collect the Liverpool events from a number of different websites so that I have as much of the information as possible in one place.

So far this has proved very popular the http://directoryofchester.net/blog entertainment section so I can't be all wrong - can I?

I tried out Google Calendar a couple of days ago which essentially would work but omg it is ugly, ugly, ugly.

My partner investigated Trumba for me but they are now charging around $100 per month per website. Their solution looks the part but as with many of the calendars I get my information from if you do not set up the feeds properly it doesn't really do you any favours.

I am back to usual. I look for many ways to automate just some of my work online to take the pressure down a notch or too but mainly this is time wasted.

There is simply no genuine replacement for hand-written content .

Sigh.

Keep on writing...

No comments:

Post a Comment